Well, this past week was all about frustrations. The homework was to work with two different materials (anything we want, except plywood and acrylic).

I chose wood and brass. I had a piece of wood left from earlier weeks and ordered bunch of different brass pieces:

2015-11-29 15.02.57 2015-11-29 15.06.00

The initial idea was to make some jewellery (necklace, etc.) but I put this idea on hold to see how the entire thing will turn out first.

I first cut and sanded the pieces of wood to be my base material.

2015-11-29 15.32.112015-11-29 15.31.56
2015-11-29 15.48.35

Then measured the right size bits for my brass pieces.

2015-11-29 16.09.08

The idea was to drill using space bits for both round and rectangle shapes (and sand the corners for the rectangle one)

Choosing spade bit and finished wood were first steps into failure. Soon you’ll see why.

Not only that the spade bit drilled through the material (I only needed a round shape), pressing it a bit harder broke the wood.

2015-11-29 16.14.07 2015-11-29 16.52.20 2015-11-29 17.05.47

FAIL! And also a lesson: when frustrated better postpone doing things for the next day.

I emailed Ben about my failure and he offered to borrow forstner bits as they may be a better fit. And of course, they were.

2015-12-01 11.32.18Ben also gave me a piece of walnut to try on. I loved how walnut shavings looked like: reminded me of chocolate.

2015-12-01 11.41.11

After I drilled the pieces, I cut them with the band saw to have more or less right size and be able to sand them afterwards.

2015-12-01 12.52.41

I also used the router to have another piece for my rectangle shape brass.

2015-12-01 12.08.07

I’ve used epoxi to glue pieces together.

2015-11-29 15.08.12

Here’s what I’ve got (I still need to sand the rectangle piece and I routed too wide):

2015-12-01 21.44.37

I’m not happy at all with this week’s homework: and I know “don’t blame the tool, blame the carpenter”. Also that I wasn’t sure what exactly is that I want to make.

But I’ve got to try these new things:

  • cut brass with the metal saw
  • learned how to sand metal
  • learned how to use the router
  • tried out different wood materials
  • learned which bit is better when

Next: final project, which I’m already working on with my pcomp group and which will be my fabrication final as well: http://www.itpruta.com/pcomp-final-project-brief/

2 thoughts on “[fabrication] week 5: two materials”

  1. I’m glad the tools I lent worked better for you. And I’m glad you used new tools and materials for this assignment.

    I’d like to see the routed out channel fit a little better for the block of brass. Also, with having two weeks to complete this project, I would like to see a finish added to the wood. Some oil or wax would look nice.

    1. I wonder if there’s any wood finish that doesn’t change the look of the wood. In other words: I didn’t like the look of the wood for my tea coasters after putting tung oil on them. And in this case I like this mat look.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *